We had a fun afternoon stretching "kweching", laughing at my farmhouse while we made, Strudel of course.
HARVEST APPLE AND SOUR CHERRY
(Yield: 15 Servings)
This is a springtime strudel made with the last of the fall’s apples, that you can still find at the farmers market. Fresh sour cherries are best but you can substitute good quality jarred sour cherries in light syrup. Added bonus, simmer the drained sour cherry juice until reduced to quarter cup and drizzle over the vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients for the Filling
2 ½ pounds peeled, cored and thinly sliced Granny Smith, Pippin or other cooking apples
1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
16 ounce fresh sour cherry, pitted or two 12 ounce jarred sour cherry, drained
1 cup orange juice
2 cups “Cookie Dust”
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 hand-pulled strudel dough
Optional, vanilla ice cream or soft whipped cream
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees.
2. Core and slice apples and place in large bowl with orange juice. Drain, pitted sour cherries, reserving juice. Place cherry juice in small saucepan and simmer until reduced to quarter cup.
3. Combine the sliced apples, granulated sugar, one cup “Cookie Dust”
4. Prepare, stretch strudel dough according to direction.
5. Spoon apple mixture in a long even shape down topside of dough leaving 3 inches on top and on either side of the table. Top with drained sour cherries. Using the tablecloth roll the dough over like a jellyroll, finish with seam side up. Carefully roll onto parchment lined sheet tray with seam side down. Brush top with melted butter; cut slits at an angle with sharp knife 2 inches apart and sprinkle lightly with 1-tablespoon sugar.
6. Lower oven to 375 degrees. Bake strudel in middle of oven until golden brown and crisp, 35 to 40 minutes. Rotating strudel for even baking. Transfer to a rack and cool 30 minutes before serving. Dust with confectioner sugar. Serve as is or with soft whipped cream or with vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with sour cherry syrup.
2 cups blanched almonds
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup amaretto cookies or biscotti
Place all ingredients in food processor and grind to fine powder. Makes 2 cups, keep unused portion refrigirated.
Friday, April 15, 2011
Strudel Party Recipe: HARVEST APPLE AND SOUR CHERRY STRUDEL
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment